Thursday, January 3, 2013

Couldn't hurt, right?

Let me preface and state that my family is Catholic and Italian. My mom was raised by my Nana who was very strict with her and my two aunts. They went to church every week, and my mom and aunts even went to a Catholic school.

So because of my mom's upbring, she is always on the "lookout" for Saints and prays to certain Saints for certain things. With that said, my mom found a Saint for me. His name is Saint Gerard. He is the protector of expectant mothers.

We had to drive across town to find the charm. I went and took the boys for a bathroom break while my mom was getting helped at the counter in the store. My mom told the girl that she wanted the St. Gerard charm and the girl goes, "Okay, that'll be 68..."

And before she can finish, my mom blurts out, "Dollars???!!!"

She then finishes with, "Cents."

So she buys that and also a glass stone with the charm of St. Gerard inside.

She then tells me that I have to wear the charm at all times and to keep the glass stone in my purse. I decided to put the charm on another chain and wear it with my other necklace. But since the two chains kept getting tangled (and Justin calling me "Two Chains"), I just put the charm on the same chain as my first necklace.

My first necklace (a diamond heart) was my Nana's and it has such a significant meaning to me. I put it on for my wedding, and for almost a year (Jan 6th), I have never taken it off. I feel like it keeps me close to her.

So I think that wearing both gives me a fighting chance! (Even though it might look funny)


2 comments:

  1. I have a St. Gerard medal too...and I have a little prayer card that I use to pray to him

    ReplyDelete