Monday, September 10, 2012

A Little Bit of History

(Okay maybe a lot, lol)

Hi, I'm Lindsy and I'm 29 years old. I also have PCOS. I was first diagnosed in November of 2011, but I have always "known" that something was wrong. My periods were only coming maybe 3-4 times a YEAR and it's gets pretty embarassing when it just shows up when you're in the 7th grade :::shudders at the memory:::

So after getting a full time job with good insurance, I made an appointment with my OB and had all the tests ran. Results were in and it was confirmed: PCOS. Had high testosterone, with borderline high sugar. So that put me at being borderline insulin resistant, meaning borderline diabetic. She said tht could definitely be the cause of my not being to ovulate and have a regular period.

Even after subconsiously knowing since I was a teenager that I had a problem and would probably have a problem getting pregnant, just seeing and hearing the words from my OB hit me pretty hard. But we had a plan of action. She prescribed 500mg Metformin and 100mg Clomid. She told me that on my Cycle Day (CD) 21, I needed to have bloodwork done to show if I ovualted. The bloodwork came back at 0.5! Seriously body, WTF? It needs to be at least a 10, and a 15 if it's a medicated cycle. So I was no where even close!

During this time, I was doing my own research online. Turns out when you're doing a Clomid cycle, the doctor should be also doing an internal ultrasound (vag-cam) to monitor the ovaries for follicle growth and cysts. And doing bloodwork on CD21 if only for a person with a normal 28-day cycle who actually ovulates on CD14, which I was no where even close to. Follow-up bloodwork needs to be done on 7 days past ovualtion (DPO). This was a complete waste of my cycle and time!

I had a confrontation with the Office Manager at my OB's, and just told her I wanted to be referred out to a Reproduction Endocrinologist (Fertility Doc). She told me that she was also going there and made a smart comment about how the doctor won't help me until I lose weight, since that's what he told her. Please! I know that I'm more on the fluffier side but this girl was frickin' HUGE!!! And seriously, trying to bash me about my weight in front of the whole office, what great customer service!

Fast forward 2 months, and I go to the RE. Dr. S was great! So the plan that he came up with was to go back on a Clomid cycle, and with COMPLETE MONITORING! My Metformin was upped to 2000mg to help control my sugar levels, and 1-81mg baby aspirin.

I was super excited at my first u/s. I totally knew that it worked and all the other rainbows and unicorns, then complete road block! I had absolutely NO RESPONSE to the Clomid at all! The follicles need to be at least 18mm in order to force ovualtion with a trigger shot. Another cycle out. They upped my Clomid to 150mg and also included .5mg of Dexamethasone which will lower my androgen levels. The doc also prescibed me Provera to jumpstart my period so we can get ready for the next cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment